Thursday 13 December 2012

My First Time Marking



At first, when I try to read this paper I am a bit confused because at the first paragraph the ‘author’ writes ‘David, Selina and I’  which mean the “author” itself included in that story but then suddenly in the second paragraph appear new character in that story whose name is Chase. I’m thinking whose this Chase suddenly appear because the ‘author’ did not mention the name at the beginning of the story. Finally, after several times reading the narrative essay I finally understand whose this Chase is. Chase means it ‘author’ itself. The ‘author’ uses Chase instead of I, this makes me a bit confused. This student has a problem in using punctuation where he don’t even know where to put full stop and keep using commas.Other than that, he/she also got problem using the pronoun.(David wanted to help she) Besides, he having problem in tenses; past tense. Example: he/she used finded instead of found. Maybe he/she was still confused within regular and irregular past participle. Besides, he/she doesn't finish his/her sentence. (Do not and run to the open), open what? In addition to that, this student having problem in using the comparison of adverbs. (they should run out as soon as possible), it should be as fast as possible. Overall, he/she has the ideas about their scary experience, only having problem in using the language to express their ideas and thought into words.


The ways I'll respond to this him/her, I prefer to have a writing conference to him/her. Since they are many corrections needed and it is inconvenient to write all the comments into words. To peer edit before the next submission? I think if there are students that have high English proficiency in that class, it is possible to have peer editing because they are some students feel shy to talk to the teacher about the problem or to ask questions, thus maybe if with their classmates they feel at ease to talk about the problems. WHAT IF.... All the students in that class having similar level English proficiency, then it is not possible to let them to peer editing other friends work as themselves are having the same problem.. How come they able to correct others when themselves also having similar problem. Things might get worse. For improvement to he/she, I will ask him/her  to concentrate more on grammar and read more books. As a follow-up activity, I'll ask him/her to write a diary and write down things that happen whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment