Monday 18 November 2013

Presentation of Littlejohn's article...

For this week tutorial, our task is about presenting our article based on our group understanding. Our article is about the analysis of language teaching materials: inside the Trojan horse, by Andrew Littlejohn. In the process of comprehending what is the article all about, I felt quite difficult to understand what Littlejohn’s trying to convey, until I feel like what am I doing?? Why did I keep reading the similar article over and over again for about 4-5 times but I still couldn’t get the overview about the article.  But, everything is getting better when we start to discuss within members until we came up into an agreement about littlejohn’s article. The process of getting into point of agreement is not something easy instead with some arguments and conflicting understanding, yet we still manage to do it. At least, at that time I feel a bit secure because now I know my way and what I suppose to do which when compare to the situation before, I was totally lost!
As I go through reading the article, something hits my mind. What is it?  I have an insight about what kind of materials I should use in the future. I found out that the materials that being used in the future should really fit with the students proficiency level. It should not be too easy neither too hard for them and is it the materials or task should be handle or should be done individually or in group. Since, there are some tasks that students are not able to complete it alone instead they need scaffold from other who are more expert which means they are doing the task under the zone of proximal development. As for an example, the littlejohn’s article, I don’t think I can do it by myself, but when it’s done in group where discussion and arguments can happen since each of us has different interpretation of particular parts in that article, everything become a bit easier, therefore, discussion is very fundamental in order for us to come out with a presentation. Besides, the material given should be based on careful consideration by the teacher before introducing the material into the classroom, whether the materials will aid the learning as claimed, or otherwise. Does it will motivate or demotivates them to learn a particular lesson. Because if it is too easy they might feel boring or if it is too difficult, it will makes them easier to give up to learn. But, after all it depends with the student attitudes toward their own learning, because some students might be demotivated when come to difficult task especially someone with extrinsic motivation but some might be motivated to learn as they are very eager to learn something new when they know that something new is beneficial, this case usually for someone who is intrinsicly motivated. As for this situation, teacher should know what to do as only teacher will knows their students well. That is why evaluating a material is very crucial before we can use that particular materials in the classroom. For my opinion, materials should be able to scaffolding students so that they will be able to reach and it should starts with something easier and step by step the level of difficulties will increase. Because students need time to understand and internalize knowledge especially the one that it’s their first time being exposed to.
Yes!  Littlejohn’s checklist quite time consuming but if it is worth why not teacher spend some time and put some effort to evaluate the material so that the materials would be able to create a positive classroom management.( it is beneficial to both group in the learning and teaching progress).

As like me, the article really demotivated me to continue reading but since we have to come out with a presentation, I try my best to put some “love” on what I am doing…is it extrinsic or intrinsic motivation??

No comments:

Post a Comment